Monday, June 11, 2012

Want to Blog? Read First

The easiest part about writing a blog is getting hold of a free account on one of the several great platforms (Blogger, WordPress, Tumblr) and start posting pieces. The hardest part, the part that makes sense and brings all hard labor to fruition is actually creating content. Content that feeds the hungry reader, makes financial sense to one who is paying the money to write and abide by the numerous (often draconian, some call it pragmatic) rules set by everybody who has a say on the matter!

The Online Writer's Dry Spell

Writing articles, PRs, blogs, creating infographics, mastering graphics editing software or making catchy videos comes easily when ideas are in abundance. Unfortunately for content creators, that is where they get stuck. It is not unheard of, neither is it uncommon. We have known of the 'writer's dry spell' from offline writers and authors who suddenly run out of inspiration and put everything on hold to book a travel to some far flung land in search of that magic that keeps their creative juices flowing.

Online writers, such as I, are not that lucky. Obviously because we do not have the luxury of calling off work or spending hard earned cash on a tour. I am sure tours, travels and escapades offer great opportunities, but as an online content creator, I must make the best of what I have at hand.

Hobbyists versus Professionals

I am not a hobbyist, but I thank The Almighty for landing me a job that involves reading and writing. I do it for a living and yet somewhere deep in me is a hobbyists that craves for the latest fiction or the recent scoop. Nothing makes my day like a controversial news. I will confess, I do not care much about the supposed moral high grounds that journalists talk about, hence I love reading articles that put egos on fire. What ensues down at the comment section is a feast for me. Call me opportunist, but I find my retreat in those tirades, foul sentences and flaring tempers and I enjoy every moment of it. The point I am trying to make here is:

Read, Read and Read some!

I thought reading would end as soon as college does. I know now that was a foolish expectation. Now I read more than I did at college! Luckily for me, I love reading. In fact, I have had myself a dozen of books in the last several months, not to mention my RSS feeds, which dutifully keeps me posted on stuff I need to know.

Tips for Online Writers

Novels, Magazines and Newspapers

If you blog professionally, you will have to read to know. Reading fiction has its benefits. First, it takes you away from the confines of your cubicle to a place where things are likely to be better than the chit-chatter of your team behind your back! You will find great ideas pouring into your head from all directions.

Plug in your iPod or whatever is that you use and start jotting down ideas on a rough sheet (notepad is fine too). Second, gather your thoughts around a topic and use what you have gathered from reading. Copying the content or spinning the entire thing is purely useless. You are cheating your client and strangulating the creative writer inside you.

You can use the 'timbre' or the 'feel' of what you were reading but never make a mistake to plagiaries content. That is a sin. That is stealing.

Read Your Competitors

Hate your competitors? Good, everybody does, and that is a good reason for you and me. I take some time off to read what others in my niches are writing. That gives an idea of the quality of content they are producing and helps me pull myself ahead of the pack.

Read and find juicy angles that your competitors might have ignored. Think about, gather facts and make a better piece than that. Your readers will love you for that and read you next time instead of your competitor.

Use the Past

Writers make mistakes as much as they do things right. Look into your past posts, look for flaws as well as good things. It is never too late to set records right, post updates or expand on past ideas that has relevance with the present.

Set a particular day of the week to reflect over past posts. Most likely, you will have plenty to write about things that you considered were long obsolete. I did that when I had to write about Google's recent algorithm updates. Most clients did not know that this was not the first time in history that website ranks were hit by changes in search engine guts and I made a killing by writing about all such past events.

Be on the Job 24 X 7

Finally, to write better (and shine at it), you will have to be on the job 24 X 7. Think what you are going to write next even when you are enjoying your cup of tea, watching the television back at home or relieving yourself in the morning!



This news article is brought to you by PRODUCT-REVIEWS - where latest news are our top priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment